You are here

History

1913

Transit service in Saskatoon began January 1st 1913. It was originally known as the Saskatoon Municipal Railway. Approximately 5200 people used the streetcars that day.

The first streetcar left the barn at Avenue C and 25th Street, heading for the Mayfair terminal. The routes were:

  • No. 1, Mayfair – University
  • No. 2, Pleasant Hill to the Exhibition Grounds
  • No. 3, 7th Avenue to 2nd Avenue and 19th Street
  • No. 4, Avenue H

Fares ranged from:

  • 5 cents for adults
  • 3 cents for children
  • 6 adult tickets for 25 cents
  • 8 children’s tickets for 25 cents

Late in 1913 the city purchased six more “double-truck, double-end” streetcars. These proved to be too heavy for the Traffic Bridge, and therefore could only be used on the West side of the river.

In the first year the Saskatoon Municipal Railway carried 3,401,000 passengers; generated gross revenue of $ 158,500; and travelled 640,000 miles, all in a city of approximately 12,000 people.

1914

​Started service to the village of Sutherland

1919

The City traded the too heavy double-truck street cars to the City of Calgary for seven single-truck, singled-end cars.

Wages paid to motormen and conductors with the Saskatoon Municipal Railway in January, 1919:

  • For those with six months service- 40 cents/hr
  • one year service- 42 cents/hr
  • two years service- 46 cents/hr
  • two ½ years service- 50 cents/hr

1922

Streetcar fare jumped from 5 cents per ticket, to 10 cents per ticket or 4 tickets for 25 cents.

On March 3, 1922 streetcar #4 Exhibition missed the turn heading down “Long Hill” toward the Traffic Bridge, and it rolled down the river bank. The operator reported the brakes would not hold. Thankfully there were no fatalities.

1931

First gas bus goes into operation (from Westmount to Armouries, 19th Street to 3rd Avenue)

1942

“Skip Stops” were initiated as a part of the War Effort. The streetcar skipped every other stop as a means to increase efficiency, and reduce energy consumption. Of course, this also meant many passengers had to walk farther to get to their transit stop

1946

Six 36-passenger Brill trolley buses were purchased as a start to modernizing the Transit system in Saskatoon.

1948

  • New Bus Garage completed a final cost of $85,000.00
  • First electric trolley bus introduced, marked the beginning of the end for the streetcars

1949

The Saskatoon Municipal Railway renamed the Saskatoon Transit System

1951

The last streetcar completed its final run. Electric trolley buses serviced the transit system

1959

12 diesel 36 passenger buses were purchased from Canadian Car Company

1962

Four General Motors 50-passenger diesel buses were purchased at a cost of roughly $32,500.00 each

1969

Transit System had 29 trolley coaches and 48 diesel buses

1974

Trolley bus made its final run, standard diesel engine buses now were the norm

1984

23rd Street Transit terminal opened

2002

Saskatoon Transit started operating two experimental “Bio-buses” fuelled by a canola-diesel blend

2013

Saskatoon Transit celebrates 100 years of service